1. Keep a limited information of your family and yourself, avoid posting pictures of your children that are below the age of 18.
2. Keep your privacy settings on at all times.
3. Make sure your internet connection is secure. Use a secure Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection.
4. Practice safe browsing; beware of suspicious website and adverts that are too good to be true.
5. Be careful what you download, avoid downloading information from suspicious sites.
6. Create strong, unique passwords. Avoid using your name, child or spouse name and date of birth as passwords.
7. Do not share your password with other people.
8. Make online purchases from secure sites, shop from only credible online shops.
9. Be careful what you post! The internet trail is real!
10. Be careful who you meet online, do not accept friendship request from strangers.
11. Keep your antivirus programme up to date at all times.
12. Engage the services of experts for your specific internet needs.
Source: Public Affairs Unit Desk